Are you prepared for 1 April 2018? Five questions about the new registration requirements for the sale or supply of electricity in Victoria

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

The ESC announces registration and provision of key information in relation to the sale or supply of electricity in Victoria. We take a deeper look.

The Victorian State Government (the Government) recently announced that those who currently sell or supply electricity under an exemption in Victoria (such as those ‘on-selling’ in a private electricity (or ‘embedded’ network), will now be required to register and provide key information to the Essential Services Commission (ESC).[1]

The new registration requirement will apply from 1 April 2018.

In today’s article, we give you a quick run-down on the new requirements as well as proposals that the Government seeks feedback on.

supply of electricity
Photo by Jens Moser on Unsplash


Late last year we discussed proposals that the majority of those with existing exemptions under the Australian Energy Regulator’s (AER’s) exemptions framework be required to hold authorisations ( Victoria operates its own licensing and exemption framework under the direction of the Essential Services Commission (ESC).

In its latest announcement, the Victorian Government announces similar changes for businesses serving Victorian customers.[2] The new framework requires ‘exempt persons’, which will cover most businesses that on-sell and/or supply electricity in an embedded network register with the ESC. The intention of these changes is to enhance consumer protections for electricity customers in Victoria.

Note that these requirements apply both to those who supply electricity, such as the operator of a private electricity (‘embedded’) network or those who sell it. Those businesses that engage in both will need to register under two categories (supply and sale).

  1. Who is covered?

As the new rules will apply to most existing exempt or ‘unlicensed’ providers, it is, perhaps, easier to specify which on-sellers or suppliers will not be required to register.

Registration will not be required or unlicensed providers if the sale or supply of electricity is to:

  • fewer than 10 small commercial/retail customers within the limits of site they own, occupy or operate (for example, a small shopping centre);
  • fewer than 10 residential customers within the limits of a site they own, occupy or operate (for example, a small block of apartments);
  • occupants of short-term holiday accommodation (but excluding caravan parks, holiday parks, residential land lease parks and manufactured home estates. Providers supplying or selling electricity to anyone in these types of sites are required to register);
  • to a related company;
  • on or within their premises to customers in conjunction with, or ancillary to, providing telecommunication services.
  1. What information will be required of providers for registration and published online?

The ESC will require providers to supply:

  • The name of the provider;
  • The type of activity the provider is engaged in;
  • The date from which the registration is in force;
  • Whether the registration is current.
  1. What information is ESC proposing to request of providers and publish online?

The ESC is proposing to require as part of registration (and seeks public feedback on):

  • the ABN/ACN of the provider;
  • the provider’s trading name;
  • the provider’s customer contact details;
  • the site name where the supplying or selling activity is taking place (where relevant, for example, the name of the apartment building, caravan park or shopping centre);
  • the site address where the activity is being carried out (where relevant).
  1. What information is the ESC proposing will be requested from providers but will remain unpublished?

The ESC also proposes (and seeks public feedback) on:

  • Information to ensure that the activity being undertaken does not require a licence;
  • The network owner’s name and contact details if different to the operator (e.g. the owners’ corporation);
  • The number of customers that are being supplied or sold electricity;
  • An estimate of the aggregate (total) yearly electricity consumption at the site in megawatt hours (MWh).
  1. Do I still need to meet the exemption or authorisation requirements of the AER?

Yes, under the National Electricity Law, if your business supplies or distributes energy your business is likely to be subject to AER’s network service provider authorisation and exemption framework. This is in addition to your obligations under ESC’s framework.[3]

Feedback on the proposals in this article (and other matters raised by the ESC) should be sent to the ESC via the by 5.00 pm Monday 19 February 2018.

Get in contact with us here at Compliance Quarter if you think that we could be of any assistance in ensuring that your business meets ESC’s registration requirements.

[1] To read more go to

[2] You can read more about the background to these changes here

[3] To read more about this go to


More to explorer

Entrepreneur working with bills

Retailer Billing Rule Change

The AEMC has released a consultation paper on the ‘Bill contents and billing requirements’ Rule Change Request made by the Federal Energy

I went through Compliance Quarter to get a privacy statement for my website. The process was very easy and the template that I received was customised to my needs.

Eve Barylka, Business Owner

Their communication was responsive and always clear. I would rate their service and quality of work higher if more than 5 stars was possible!

Steven Nelson, Business Manager